Hello dear heart!
NUMBER ONE TECHNIQUE FOR REACHING METAPHYSICAL “HOME BASE”
Sometimes it is difficult to sustain a peaceful mood or happy disposition because the external stimuli and worldly messages you encounter can be so erratic. If you continually look outside of yourself for security and direction you will often feel disconnected or fragmented. The media alone can keep anyone feeling anxious and uncertain all the time, right? How often do you see tragedies replay over and over online, on T.V., the radio, and everywhere? Not to mention the people in your life who sometimes not only rehash the drama and chaos but also fuel it with their own worry and fear.
I believe the number one remedy for calm and contentment is: Meditation
What is feeling centered or what I call “Home Base?” Home Base is a feeling of safety, wholeness, clarity, and peace. Remember as a child when you were playing chase and no one could tag you “IT” when you called “Base!” ? To me now, Home Base is the metaphysical space where we may connect and commune with Divine Within.
There are hundreds of resources and thousands of people who are experts on meditation. I do not claim to be an expert; instead, I’ll share with you my experiences.
When I first attempted to meditate, almost ten years ago, I was like George Costanza screaming, “Serenity now!”. My brain was on super-speed. I couldn’t even count slowly 1-10 much less be mindful of my breath. I was worried if I was doing it right, what anyone would think if they happened to walk in on me, what I was going to cook for dinner afterwards, and everything thinking but the task at hand. I almost gave up, but instinctively I knew there was meaning in this practice. I took it slowly. Very slowly. I began using a candle to help my mind calm down, my attention to lengthen, and my focus to sharpen.
I would make a comfortable place on the floor to sit. With the lights off, I would watch the flame of a candle dance around. With my focus on the candle, I’d let everything else in my mind drift away. Again, meditating for me took a great amount of time and effort at first. Eventually, I progressed to music, with closed eyes, slowed breath, and relaxed mind.
Now, I can reach my Home Base within seconds, without ceremony or very much effort. It amazes me sometimes when I think about how untamed and limited my mind used to be. My determination and practice really paid off!
Below, are a few different methods. I say, do what feels good to you, what brings you peace and joy.
1. Sit in a legs-crossed position with your hands softly clasped together or open resting on your knees, whichever feels best to you. Breathe comfortably. You can breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth if you wish or inhale/exhale through your nose, either way. Start by counting each breath. Slow 1, 2, 3. If discursive thoughts enter and you lose count, start over. See how far you can go without the thoughts disturbing your concentration on breath. Let it be fun, rather than a chore or a “should.”
2. If you need guidance and direction, while you are in a meditative state ask Divine Within. The answer may come forth through your intuition at that time or you might prefer to have a pen and paper ready afterwards. Stay open to receive. Glory be!
3. In a comfortable position, visualize a pleasant image. Imagine all the details you can evoke: sights, sounds, smells, feelings. It could be a beach you love to visit, a childhood sanctuary, or an imaginary world. Envision this setting, go their in your mind-spirit.
4. In a comfortable position, visualize a pleasant image. Imagine all the details you can evoke: sights, sounds, smells, feelings. It could be a beach you love to visit, a childhood sanctuary, or an imaginary world. Envision this setting, go their in your mind-spirit.
5. Again, find a comfortable and quiet place to sit. Close your eyes. Chant a mantra over and over. It can simply be “Om” or “Shanti” or “Om Namah Shivaya” or “I honor Divine Within” or “I am one with God” or “Thank you” or “I am” or “Love” or “Peace” or absolutely anything that has meaning to you.
Benefits of Meditation:
- Supports healthier immune system
- Improves memory and concentration
- Decreases anxiety, depression, anger, and fatigue
- Lowers cortisol and lactate (stress) levels
- Lowers high blood pressure
- Reduces cholesterol
- Normalizes hormone levels
- Improves fertility
- Increases serotonin, feel-good chemical
- Increases the growth hormone that repairs cells and tissues
- Improves digestion
- Reduces inflammation that is linked to arthritis, asthma, and skin conditions
- Improves air flow
- Reduces PMS
- Enhances relaxation and contentment